Professor Ishwar Parhar
Professor Ishwar received his Ph.D. in Neuroendocrinology from the National University of Singapore and worked at The Rockefeller University, New York, USA and Nippon Medical School, Tokyo, Japan for 30 years. He returned to Malaysia in 2006 as Professor in Neuroscience and the Founding Director of the Brain Research Institute at Monash University Malaysia. He holds Adjunct Professorships at several Universities in Japan, Sun Yet Sen University in China and The Rockefeller University. Professor Ishwar is an internationally recognized Neuroendocrinologist, who has especially contributed greatly in the field of Reproductive Neuroscience. He has published more than 140 original articles in reputed International Journals and an author and co-author of internationally used books. He is on the Editorial Board of several international journals, and is the Founder President of NeuroMalaysia Society. He is also a scientific advisor to Government bodies.
The excellence of his scholarship and scientific achievements have been recognized through several distinctions, fellowships, research grants and awards such as those from the Ministry of Science Japan, Ministry of Science Malaysia, Ministry of Health Malaysia, the Pro-vice Chancellor Research Award Monash University and the Narishige Neuroscience Award Japan. More recently he received the ‘Top Scientist Award’ from the Academy of Science Malaysia.
BSc (Hons) (Punjab), MSc (Hons) (Punjab), Ph.D(Sing)
- Reproductive Neuroscience
- Social Neuroscience
- Parhar et al., Laser-captured single digoxigenin-labeled neurons of gonadotropin-releasing hormone types reveal a novel G protein-coupled receptor (Gpr54) during maturation in cichlid fish. Endocrinology 2004. 145: 3613-8.
- Parhar et al., Three GnRH receptor types in laser-captured single cells of the cichlid pituitary display cellular and functional heterogeneity. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U S A. 2005. 102: 2204-9.
- Kitahashi T, Ogawa S and Parhar IS (2009) Cloning and expression of Kiss2 in the Zebrafish and medaka. Endocrinology 150(2) :821-31
- T.Soga, Wong DW, IJ Clarke and Parhar IS (2010) Citalopram (Antidepressant) Administration Causes Sexual Dysfunction In Male Mice Through RFamide Related Peptide In The Dorsomedial Hypothalamus. Neuropharmacology 59 : 77-85
- Servili A, Le Page Y, Leprince J, Caraty A, Escobar S, Parhar IS, Seong JY, Vaudry H and Kah O (2011) Organization of Two Independent Kisspeptin Systems Derived from Evolutionary-Ancient Kiss Genes in the Brain of Zebrafish. Endocrinology
- Jenny, T. Soga and Parhar IS (2011) Cloning and Functional Expression of Novel Cholesterol Transporters ABCG1 and ABCG4 in Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone Neurons of the Tilapia. Neuroscience 203:39-49
- Ogawa S, Ng KW, Ramadasan PN, Nathan FM and Parhar IS (2012) Habenular Kiss1 Neurons Modulate the Serotonergic System in the Brain of Zebrafish. Endocrinology
- Ogawa S, Ramadasan PN, Goschorska M, Anantharajah A, Ng KW and Parhar IS (2012) Cloning and Expression of Tachykinins and Their Association with Kisspeptins in the Brains of Zebrafish. J Comp Neurol
- Parhar IS, Ogawa S, Kitahashi. (2012) T RFamides: Mediators of Environmental Signals for Reproduction. Prog in Neurobiology 98(2) : 176-196
- Sandun L Dalpatadu, Dutt W. Wong, Parhar IS (2012) Neonatal Dexamethasone exposure down-regulates GnRH expression through the GnIH pathway in the Female Mice. Neuroscience 218:56-64
- Soga T, Wong D.W, Manish Putteeraj, Song KP, Parhar IS (2012) Early- Life Citalopram-Induced Impairments in Sexual Behavior and the Role of Androgen Receptors. Neuroscience 225:172-184
- Ogawa S, Parhar IS (2012) Anatomy of the Kisspeptin Systems in Teleost. Gen. Comp. End
- Kitahashi T, Kanya A, Suchinda M, Sukanya J, Parhar IS (2012) Molecular events during the Induction of Neurodegeneration and Memory Loss in Estrogen-Deficient Rats. Gen. Comp. End. 181:316-323
- Kitahashi T, Parhar IS (2012) Comperative aspects of Kisspeptin Gene Regulation. Gen.Comp. End. 181:197-202
- Khor YM, Soga T, Parhar IS (2013) Caffeine Neuroprotects against Dexamethasone-Induced Anxiety-Like Behaviour in the Zebrafish (Danio rerio). Gen. Comp. End. 181:310-315
- Horri Y, Sandun L Dalpatadu, Soga T, Ohta R, Watanabe G, Taya K, Parhar IS ( 2013) Estrogenic regulationof Kiss1 mRNA Variants in Hatano Rats. Gen. Comp. End.181:246-253
- Q Wang, KWY Sham, S Ogawa, S Li, Parhar IS, CHK Cheng, X Liu, H Lin (2013) Regulation of the Two kiss Promoters in Goldfish (Carassius auratus) by Estrogen via Different ERα Pathways. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology
- S Moriya, S Ogawa, IS Parhar (2013) GnRH Neuron Type-Specific Transcriptome Analysis by Laser Captured Single-Cell Microarray in the Medaka. Biochemical and Biophysical Research
- R Gopurappilly, S Ogawa, IS Parhar (2013) Functional significance of GnRH and kisspeptin, and their cognate receptors in teleost reproduction
- Ogawa et al., Habenular kisspeptin modulates fear in the zebrafish. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U S A. 2014. 111: 3841-6.